In the following criminal cases, the WatchTower Society - Jehovah's Witnesses religion served as the spiritual element of the perpetrator's and/or other actor's formative environment, or otherwise served as a major influencer of the perpetrator's and/or other actor's behavior. The following cases are often tragic, and speak for themselves.

****************               ****************

COLORADO v. RUSSELL KYLE THOMPSON was a 2001-06 Colorado MURDER prosecution that after two trials ended up being plea bargained down to reckless manslaughter, and a six year prison sentence. On a Saturday afternoon in February 2001, Russell Thompson, age 38, of Glenwood Springs, CO traveled to the El Jebel, CO home of coworker Timothy Destromp where the duo drank themselves into a stupor, and began to argue and fight. Both carpenters had a history of fighting, but Tim Destromp was no match for Russell Thompson, who was also a semi-pro boxer. Thompson literally beat Destromp to death using only his fists.

INTERESTINGLY, at both trials, Russell K. Thompson fired his public defenders and acted as his own attorney. The District Attorney noted that Thompson represented himself with "his smooth demeanor" and "his ability to raise doubts in the minds of some people". "He is probably one of the best con artists I've ever seen. Mr. Thompson is masterful and talented at manipulating."

Local media reported that at Russell Kyle Thompson's sentencing hearing, "Thompson had several family members and friends from the Jehovah's Witnesses church appeal for leniency for him. Many broke into tears while providing character references."


UNITED STATES v. DOMINIC A. TRUELOVE was the 2004-05 multi-state federal criminal prosecution of an 18 year-old Jehovah's Witness gone wild. Dominic Truelove is the 4th of nine sons and one daughter of well-to-do British immigrant and Jehovah's Witness Elder, Ian Truelove, and his wife, Jean Truelove, then of Hatsboro, Pennsylvania. Between July and September 2004, Dom Truelove and two eighteen year-old friends robbed four banks in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and attempted to rob two other banks. One of this trio, Corey A. Staley shared an apartment in Hatsboro, PA with Truelove. All three were excellent students, so Truelove's two co-conspirators may also have had JW ties. An unconfirmed online report claims that Truelove spent around 4 years in prison. Truelove has done extremely well since -- sailing his own sailboat to South America in 2017-18.


OREGON v. SUNG KOO KIM, OREGON v. SUNG K. KIM, OREGON v. SUNG KIM, and OREGON v. KIM was a series of 2004-6 Oregon criminal court cases. The Sung Koo Kim Saga received tons of media coverage from the time it first made the news in mid-2004, when the 30 year-old was first arrested, until mid-2006, after Sung Koo Kim had pleaded "guilty" to the second set of charges relating to the thefts of 1000s of pairs of used women's undergarments, and other items described below, from the laundry rooms of apartment buildings and college dormitories, and was eventually sentenced to a total of more than 11 years in prison. The cases are somewhat confusing to follow given that Kim faced and/or still faces property theft charges, and even child porn charges, in four different Oregon counties.

Unfortunately, only a small percentage of those media reports ever focused on what caused Sung Koo Kim to do what he did. Atthe first sentencing hearing, in November 2005, Kim read a lengthy statement in which h apologized for the fear that he had "unintentionally" instilled in his many victims, and the ill repute that he had brought on his parents and younger sister. Kim claimed that he never stalked anyone, nor had he ever posed a threat to the community. He stated that he simply had developed a fetish for women's undergarments. Kim blamed his mental illness on the isolation he experienced while growing up as a member of the strict, insular Jehovah's Witness community:

"I was a Jehovah's Witness all my life, and tried to live a perfect life, according to the Bible and the doctrines of the Jehovah's Witnesses. I never committed fornication and kept away from all worldly sins. I lived all my life in isolation, in a lonely religious prison, deprived of friends, love, intimacy and happiness. ... "

While some would argue that thousands of JW Children have experience the same issues as did Sung Koo Kim, and did not turn out as did Kim, others would acknowledge that no two children have the same genetics, nor experience the exact same formative environment, and thus do not turn out the same.

In fact, Kim's parents reportedly eventually acknowledged the damage which had been done to their son, and they eventually left the WatchTower religion. Joo Kim, Dong Kim, and their two young children immigrated from Korea to Los Angeles in the late 1970s. There, they eventually joined the small community of Koreans who were members of the Jehovah's Witnesses. At some point, there in LA, or after the family had relocated to Beaverton, Oregon, Joo Kim even was appointed a "Congregation Elder", which required the parents to place even more pressure on their children. When Sung Koo Kim entered his high school years, the "honors student" complained to his parents that he felt like he was being "chained". Sung Koo experienced teasing and bullying due to both his race and his religion. He couldn't celebrate holidays. He couldn't play sports. He couldn't attend dances and other social events. He couldn't date girls. He had no friends. He had no social life.

Having developed no social skills, Sung Koo Kim's college experience was no better. Kim first earned an Associate's degree in computers from Portland Community College, and thereafter worked one year at Intel. Kim then enrolled at Washington State University, and graduated with a Bachelor's degree in genetics and cellular biology, in 2001. However, Kim never was employed after graduating. Kim moved back in with his parents, and began to live a life about which still may not all be known.

Among Kim's personal effects, investigators reportedly found seven or more assault rifles and handguns. Police also seized three computers containing 40,000 images of women being mutilated, raped and dismembered. Police also found more than two dozen suitcases, backpacks, cardboard boxes and plastic bags, which contained 3400 pairs of women's used panties and bras -- clean and dirty. Police also found used toilet paper and feminine hygiene products. They also found packaged dryer lint, and even human hair. Many of the items were marked as to when/where obtained. Police also found one secretly made video of two female college students marked with intimate personal identity info. Needless to say, police suspected Kim of being guilty of much more than "property theft", but evidently have not been able to tie Kim to more than these prosecutions. Time will tell.


CALIFORNIA v. ANGEL AGUERO was a 2004 California criminal case. In February 2004, a Jehovah's Witness, named Angel Aguero, 31, was stopped by a Gilroy, California police officer during the noon hour for a routine traffic violation. Aguero exited his 1988 Cadillac with a long metal pipe in his hand, and advanced toward the officer, who pulled his pistol, and ordered Aguero to stop, and for Aguero to drop the pipe, several times, but Aguero continued his approach. A male passenger exited the Cadillac, and unsuccessfully tried to convince Aguero to drop the pipe. That passenger eventually ran from the scene.

That police officer radioed for back-up, and several other officers responded. Aguero also refused their orders for him to drop the pipe, and even told them, "You're going to have to shoot me," and "You're going to have to kill me." An officer fired a rubber baton round at Aguero hitting him on the front of his body, but he still held onto the pipe. They then pepper-sprayed him, and shot him with a second rubber round, and pepper-sprayed him again, at which point Aguero dropped the pipe and was placed under arrest.

Both police and bystanders related that Angel Aguero had declared that he was a Jehovah's Witness, and that he was"preaching" and "calling to Jehovah" throughout the standoff.


MISSOURI v. AIMEE SATTERFIELD was a 2003-5 Missouri criminal court decision. At exactly 7:00 PM, on Sunday, June 29, 2003, a 22 year-old Jehovah's Witness "Pioneer" (full-time door-knocker), named Aimee Satterfield, of Elkland, Missouri, telephoned 9-1-1 and reported that she had been beaten, slashed, and raped at knife-point in her auto after she had stopped alongside a busy highway to fix a flat tire. As soon as the supposed perpetrator left, Satterfield first telephoned her mother, Connie Satterfield, from her cell phone, and thereafter telephoned 9-1-1. A Sheriff's Deputy responded. Satterfield was found bruised, with her clothes cut and torn, and with superficial knife slashes to her chest and breasts. A rape exam at a Mount Vernon, Missouri area hospital disclosed that Satterfield had recently had sexual intercourse.

Local authorities were shocked that such an attack could have occurred in broad daylight alongside a well-traveled highway near an interstate exchange. Roadblocks were set up around the area during the following two weekends, including the Fourth of July, looking for the described suspect and for his described pickup truck, and questioning locals who lived in the area, or who had been driving in the area at the time of the attack. Over 2000 law enforcement man-hours were expended on this case, rather than on other pending matters. Fear of the uncaught perpetrator swept females throughout the locale.

However, the more investigating that was done, the more that Satterfield's story did not make sense. Although there were other inconsistencies with Satterfield's story, one major issue was that a security video showed Satterfield leaving a truck stop store, where she had purchased a drink, at 6:53 PM, which was 2.5 to 4 minutes away from the scene of the alleged rape. There simply had not been enough time for Satterfield to have gotten in her station wagon, have driven to the scene, have stopped, have gotten out her spare tire, have been assaulted by a man offering to help change her tire, have telephoned Connie Satterfield, and then telephoned 9-1-1 -- all in seven minutes. After weeks of investigation, and agonizing with the idea of having to charge a supposed rape victim with lying about such, on September 24, 2003, the Sheriff finally charged Satterfield with filing a false report.

Warren Satterfield and Connie Satterfield were outraged, and stated that their daughter had been betrayed, and effectively assaulted a second time -- this time by the Sheriff. Aimee Satterfield denied that she had lied. Satterfield stated that she had been a"virgin' until the rape; that pre-marital sex was forbidden to Jehovah's Witnesses (a disfellowshipping offense); and she even denied having a boyfriend at the time. Satterfield told a reporter:

"I am a baptized Jehovah's Witness. ... If I back down, Jehovah's name is involved. I'll sit in jail the rest of my life if necessary. But I refuse to put any kind of reproach or dishonor on Jehovah's name."

In July 2005, the case against Satterfield went to "trial on the record" -- during which the prosecutor read into the court record what his witnesses would have testified. Satterfield's attorneys did not present a defense. According to her attorneys, Satterfield had married and wanted to move on with her new life. Satterfield's attorneys also mentioned that Satterfield, who reportedly suffered from fibromyalgia, depression, and two suicide attempts, had been receiving "counseling". Satterfield was found "guilty", and sentenced to 6 months in jail. However, the judge suspended the sentence, placed Satterfield on 2 years of unsupervised probation. Additionally, Satterfield was ordered to pay restitution to the Sheriff's office of $7500.00.


COLORADO v. NATHAN GOAD, COLORADO v. RICHARD KEMP, and COLORADO v. LEVI BONES were related 2004-5 Colorado criminal court cases. On December 13, 2004, three "overage juvenile" Jehovah's Witnesses, named Levi Bones, 23, Richard Kemp, 26, and Nathan Goad, 29, vandalized a 9 foot tall Menorah, which had been erected in Aspen's Paepcke Park as part of the local Jewish community's celebration of Hanukkah. Per Jewish tradition, the lights on the Menorah are lit individually during each of the eight days of Hanukkah. The ignorant Jehovah's Witness "juveniles" stated that they thought that the Menorah was a "broken Christmas ornament", because not all of its lights were lit, as if they would have had the right to destroy such. Arresting police officers stated that some of the JW trio had been drinking. Goad and Kemp pleaded "guilty", and were fined and placed on two years probation, plus ordered to pay for the damages. Bones initially declined to plead guilty. Outcome of his case is unknown.

AARON P. DAVIS. On Saturday evening, November 13, 2005, an Aurora, Colorado African-American Jehovah's Witness Couple, named Aaron P. Davis, age 39, and Benita Coleman-Davis, age 36, were both shot and wounded after physically attacking 52 year-old Glen Eichstedt during an argument in a Denver-area strip-mall parking lot. Aaron Prentice Davis later died at the hospital after he refused to consent to a needed blood transfusion. Benita Coleman-Davis recovered from her wounds.
Aaron Davis, who was a USPS employee, and Benita Davis were sitting in their Toyota 4-Runner awaiting a take-out order at a nearby restaurant, when Eichstedt, who just dropped off his date, parked next to the Toyota. Eichstedt supposedly hit the Toyota as he opened the door of his Mustang, and an argument ensued between the JW Couple and Eichstedt as to whether Eichstedt had dinged their Toyota. The argument escalated to a shouting match, which escalated to the point that threats of violence were exchanged. At some point, Aaron Davis, who had a blood alcohol level of .015 at time of autopsy, retreived a metal bar from his Toyota, and Aaron Davis hit Eichstedt over the head and knocked Eichstedt to the pavement. Eichstedt claimed that both Aaron and Benita Davis were beating him as he laid on the pavement. Eichstedt, a downtown Denver Bar & Grill owner, then pulled a .38 caliber pistol, for which he had a concealed weapons permit, and shot each Davis two times. Investigating police officers declined to arrest Eichstedt at the scene of the attack/shootings. In June 2006, a Grand Jury fully investigated the attack/shootings, and ruled the two shootings to have been in "self-defense".
The media reported that the Montbello Colorado Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses was packed to hear Elder Phil Harris deliver Davis' eulogy, in which he used WatchTower doctrine to answer the question, "Why do good people die?"
WALCOTT CONNECTICUT CONGREGATION OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES. On January 23, 2003, Maureen Mayo, 40, of Walcott, Connecticut, dropped her car off to be repaired at an auto repair shop a few blocks distance from her apartment. As Mayo walked back to her apartment along Meriden Road, Mayo was severely and permanently injured after being struck by a passing automobile. A local 30 year-old female Jehovah's Witness was eventually identified, arrested, and charged with fleeing the scene of the accident. In April 2005, after a lengthy six day "jury trial", the accused female JW was found "not guilty". Maureen Mayo and a number of local citizens who supposedly were familiar with the facts of Mayo's accident were reportedly upset with the jury's decision.
AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY v. JONATHAN MICHAEL KENNEWELL was a 2004-05 Australia criminal prosecution of a 19 year-old Jehovah's Witness DRUNK DRIVER who struck another vehicle and seriously injured the middle-aged Husband and Wife occupants. The victims were so seriously injured that their prognosis was that they might never again be able to perform most normal physical activities.
Described by "witnesses" as "driving like a maniac" and "driving like an idiot", in June 2004, Jonathan M. Kennewell was driving the "wrong way" when he struck the other vehicle. A breathalyser test disclosed a blood alcohol level of 0.104. A "sleep-deprived" Jonathan Kennewell had also been taking prescribed medication which he had been warned not to mix with alcohol. Kennewell eventually pleaded guilty to two charges of "causing grievous bodily harm" to Patrick Rodden and Beverly Rae Rodden. At the sentencing hearing, supportive letters were received from Kennewell's Jehovah's Witness Parents, an "Elder" from the family's local Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, and a former employer (suspected to also be a fellow JW) whom stated that Kennewell was "a responsible, reliable, conscientious and hard working employee". Despite the extensive, life-changing injuries to the Roddens, Kennewell was sentenced to a mere 18-30 months imprisonment. Even that light sentence was appealed, but was affirmed.
Jonathan Kennewell and his five siblings were being reared by "close and supportive" but "strict" Jehovah's Witness Parents. Although Kennewell earned "average grades", the JW Teenager typically did not like to go to high school, and ceased high school at the age of 14 -- probably because typically, "he didn't have many friends". Kennewell attended vocational school for six months, but dropped out due to "mental health" issues. Kennewell had always lived with his JW Parents (with the exception of three months time when he was 18 years-old -- when he was unable to fend for himself), and he even had been employed in the family business up until about 18 months prior to the CRIME, when at the age of 17, he started drawing some type of"mental health" disability pension through the family's business insurance policy. Kennewell had been diagnosed with severe generalized anxiety disorder and depression. Prior to the CRIME, Kennewell had sought treatment for both his "mental illness", and alcohol and substance abuse.
IOWA v. LOUIS JONATHAN CUTWRIGHT was a 2003 Iowa criminal conviction of Louis J. Cutwright, then age 29, of Waterloo, Iowa, on two counts of BURGLARY committed in the nearby city of Waverly, Iowa. Louis Cutwright was sentenced to 35 years in prison, but is eligible for parole in 2019.
NEW JERSEY v. PAMPER PETTERWAY was a 2002-04 New Jersey murder court decision. Described by media as a"CrackHead ConArtist", in January 2004, a female African-American, named Pamper Petterway, 44, of Trenton, New Jersey, was sentenced to life imprisonment for the September 2002 robbery and murder of an 81 year-old "Good Samaritan".
During the investigation of this murder, police discovered that "Petterway", had essentially lived at least two lives -- one in North Carolina, and one in New Jeresey -- under at least 4 or more aliases, and 2 or more SSNs. Petterway had an extensive rap sheet. Prior to this robbery/murder, Petterway had been arrested 10 times in North Carolina, mostly for forgery and related crimes, and Petterway had been arrested 14 times in New Jersey, including two felony convictions for forgery, one for criminal mischief, and one or more for prostitution.
At the time of the murder, Pamper Petterway had been married to Darrell Gilchrist for only four years (when Petterway was 37/38), and they supposedly had two children who lived with them. Petterway also had at least two other children who lived with Petterway's mother, Lillian Houston, in North Carolina. According to Darrell Gilchrist, his wife was a Jehovah's Witness, who "sometimes hosted religious meetings" at their home. Thus, it is possible that Pamper Houston, aka Pamper Petterway, aka Pamper Gilchrist, and who knows how many other names there may have been, had been reared as a Jehovah's Witness back in North Carolina. 
On September 25, 2002, Pamper Petterway "targeted" 81 year-old Stella Garczynski outside of a local bank. Petterway put on some type of "con" which attracted the attention of Garczynski, who was a known "Good Samaritan", who often helped locals who were in need of help. Petterway acted dejected, and told Garczynski that she and her children had been put out of their apartment, and needed a place to live to keep from being homeless. Garczynski offered to show Petterway an available rental near her own home.
After arriving in Garczynski's neighborhood, Petterway asked Garczynski if she could use her bathroom. Once inside Garczynski's home, Petterway picked up a lamp, and bludgeoned the elderly woman to unconsciousness. Garczynski may have regained consciousness, and interrupted the ransacking of her home, multiple times, because there appeared to have been multiple attacks, and evidence that Garczynski had fought back. In addition to having been bludgeoned with the lamp, Garczynski had also been bludgeoned with a picture frame and a statue. (Garczynski was a devout Catholic.) Garczynski also had been severely beaten. At some point, Garczynski had also been both bound and strangled with a cord. Garczynski was also stabbed more than 40 times with one of her kitchen knives. Most of the stab wounds were to Garczynski's face and throat, but some were "defensive" wounds to Garczynski's hands and arms.
After cleaning herself up, Petterway went straight to Garczynski's bank, and obtained the necessary legal documents to gain power-of-attorney over Garczynski's accounts. Petterway had also stolen about $1000.00 in cash from Garczynski's home, as well as various legal documents, ATM card, etc. Petterway was arrested the next day at the bank after the bank clerk recognized Garczynski's name as that of a recent murder victim.
Given the above circumstances, does anyone really believe that this was the very first time that Petterway had ever conned her way into someone's home, and then did who knows what? We are even taking Petterway's word for it that she gained entry into Garczynski's home the way that has been described.
Petterway never showed remorse at any of the multiple hearings, and at the August 2003 hearing, during which she eventually pled guilty in order to avoid the death penalty, the "the meek and forlorn-looking" Petterway initially claimed that she was "innocent"of the charges.
GEORGIA v. DARYL GRAY was a 2004 Georgia juvenile court decision. In March 2004, a 12 year-old African-American Jehovah's Witness, named Daryl Gray, stabbed in the face with a pencil a school classmate who allegedly had repeatedly been bullying Gray. Gray was convicted of aggravated battery, and he was sentenced to 90 days of probation, a $332.00 fine, 16 days of community service, attend family orientation counseling program, and join the Awesome Inc. mentoring program. One media report stated that Gray's attorney had filed a motion for a new juvenile court trial. Another mentioned the possibility of a civil lawsuit against the school. No further info has been located on either.
Daryl Gray claimed that he stabbed the male classmate only after that other student first punched him. The stabbing left a possibly permanent facial scar, and the other student was reportedly charged with misdemeanor battery. Both boys also had been suspended from school for 10 days.
Daryl Gray was an "A" student, who had repeatedly reported that he was being bullied by multiple classmates, but officials at Pointe South Middle School had failed to stop the verbal harassment and even physical attacks. Jeanette Gray, Daryl's mother, stated that she also had reported the ongoing bullying -- face-to-face, and via an email to the BOE. Reportedly, the school's only response was advice on avoiding conflict and re-scheduling of Gray's classes.
UNITED STATES v. MARCUS A. GRAHAM was a 2002-2004 District of Columbia court decision. In July 2004, Marcus A. Graham, 21, was sentenced to a 50 year prison term for killing his parents' 67 year-old neighbor, Lucille Batchelor, in a brutal attack and robbery. The conviction and sentence was affirmed in 2008 by the D.C. Court of Appeals, but likely will be further appealed.
On Sunday morning, November 17, 2002, then 19 year-old Marcus A. Graham went to the family's local Wash D.C. Kingdom Hall along with his with wife, mother, stepfather, and other relatives. Shortly after arriving, Graham left on the excuse of having argued with his wife, but apparently had other things on his mind. The previous evening, Graham's mother, Irene Perry, had asked her son to take some soup and tea to a neighbor who had complained of having a cold. After purchasing and smoking some PCP, Graham returned to his parents' apartment, where he and his wife were living.
Thereafter, Marcus Graham went to Lucille Batchelor's apartment, where he was invited in, possibly on the pretext of retrieving his mother's dishware. When Batchelor returned to her living room, she caught Graham rifling through her purse. Graham and Batchelor tussled, and the elderly woman was knocked to the floor. She either hit her head on, or had it slammed into, the edge of her dining room table. Graham also beat the elderly woman in the head with her own walking cane. Finally, Graham stabbed Lucille Batchelor in the chest with a kitchen knife. Graham left with only $15.00 cash and two credit cards. At 11:00 AM, a nearby ATM took a photo of Graham as he unsuccessfully attempted to get cash using one of Batchelor's cards.
Four days later, Marcus Graham voluntarily went to police headquarters for a requested "interview" that ended up lasting into the AM hours of the following day. That same evening, Clarence and Irene Perry voluntarily showed up at police HQ, and Irene Perry was allowed to talk privately with her son for an hour and a half. Afterwards, in an interview with Clarence and Irene Perry, Irene Perry told police that she had suspected her son as soon as she learned of the murder, "because he's different than the rest of the kids. He's notserving Jehovah. He's been in the street ... you know, he acts kind of thug-ish." (Marcus Graham had a prior criminal record.)
Irene Perry pressed her son to tell the truth, and Graham eventually confessed to the murder. (Graham had confessed to robbing Batchelor even before his mother arrived, but he had told police that he had stole the credit cards on Saturday evening.) Both confessions, and Irene Perry's participation in the second, were the subject of Graham's losing appeal.
Graham's stepfather may not have been as "cooperative" as was Graham's mother. Clarence Perry reportedly believed Graham's initial denials, and reportedly offered to help Graham get an attorney and fight the charges. After Graham's sentencing, Clarence Perry was quoted as stating: "This picture they're trying to paint of my son, as a hardened criminal, it's not true."
CALIFORNIA v. WINSTON JUSTICE (2003) and CALIFORNIA v. WINSTON JUSTICE (2004) both involved a high profile Jehovah's Witness Teenager named Winston Justice, who now plays professional football in the National Football League (NFL).
As reported by ESPN, Winston Justice was reared as a Jehovah's Witness, and attended the Kingdom Hall three times per week. Other media articles related: "Winston Justice has gone door to door to teach others about his religion since he was a small baby in his mother's arms. ... As a small child, Justice learned to not be discouraged when people made rude comments or slammed doors in his face."
Gary Justice and Winifred Justice (immigrants from Barbados), in consultation with the JW Elders at their Long Beach area Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, initially refused to permit Winston to play organized high school sports, but as Winston grew larger and larger, and his athletic potential blossomed, Winston's JW Parents re-thought the situation, and decided that they would exercise their own "consciences". They overruled the JW Elders, and decided to allow their son to play sports during his junior and senior years. Winston Justice was awarded a football scholarship by the University of Southern California (USC), and entered college in Fall 2002.
In June 2003, while home for the summer, then 18 year-old Winston Justice was arrested for "solicitation of prostitution" in his hometown of Long Beach. The USC All-American eventually pleaded "no contest" to a misdemeanor in exchange for a $300.00 fine, and three years probation, and Justice was ordered to undergo HIV testing, and attend a court-approved AIDS class.
In February 2004, then 19 year-old Winston Justice was arrested for allegedly flashing what turned out to be a pellet gun at another USC student and two passengers during a dispute in a parking structure near the campus. Although arrested by police on "suspicion of felony assault with a deadly weapon", the USC All-American eventually pleaded "no contest" to a misdemeanor count of exhibition of a replica firearm, and was sentenced to 60 days of electronic monitoring, and three years' probation.
CALIFORNIA v. LAMONT STERLING JOHNSON was a 2003 California murder case. In 2003, during a second trial, Lamont Sterling Johnson, of Richmond, California, was for the second time convicted of robbery and first degree murder of a drug dealer in May 1996, and was sentenced to life in prison without possibility of parole.
At the time that the crimes were committed, Lamont Johnson was 19 years-old. During the penalty phase of the trial, Johnson's attorney successfully used the fact of Lamont Johnson's "strict Jehovah's Witnesses upbringing" and alleged "learning disability" to make a case that the death penalty was not warranted. Deliberating less than a full day, one juror explained why the jury had not given Lamont Johnson the death penalty, "We looked at the whole big picture, from his childhood all the way to now."
NEW YORK v. GEORGE HARDY was a 2002-3 New York court case. Limited details. Reared as a "devout Jehovah's Witness" by a JW Mother, named Yugetta M. Osborne, 14/15 year-old George Hardy was convicted, and did jail time, for charges related to carrying a firearm while attending classes at Lafayette High School in Buffalo, New York. In 2007, George Hardy, then 19, was shot and killed.
PAUL CHASE and JAMAICA CHASE. On New Years Eve, December 31, 2002, at around 6:30 PM, Paul Chase, age 22, and his newlywed wife, Jamaica Howard Chase, 21, of Tacoma, Washington, were each "executed" while sitting in their standing automobile, by being shot in the back of their heads. The shootings went unsolved.
Apparently, it was not until the couple's Jehovah's Witness Families began complaining about media reports that disclosed Paul Chase's gang affiliation, and his extensive criminal background, and Jamaica Howard's minor criminal record, that it was even disclosed that Paul Chase and Jamaica Howard apparently had both been reared as Jehovah's Witnesses.
Subsequent media reports quoted Paul Chase's sister, Elizabeth Williams, boasting how Paul Chase "had worked diligently in recent months to develop his talents and become a good, God-centered father" [to his two children by another woman]. Jamaica Howard's step-grandmother, Judy Broadhurst, told reporters that she first learned of the marriage when Paul Chase's mother told other congregation members at the local Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses which both families apparently attended. Judy Broadhurst boasted how the couple were attending congregation meetings, and were working to turn their lives around. Jamease Howard, then 14, said she looked up to her sister. Friend Maria Kramer likewise admired Howard, stating that,"She was a single mom, and she did such a good job raising her son [Albert]."
PENNSYLVANIA v. JOHN GARTH was a early 2000s Pennsylvania criminal court case. Incomplete details. John Garth Jr., of the greater Pittsburgh area, reportedly served 18 months in state prison for selling crack cocaine, sometime around 2002-4, when Garth (born 1981) was roughly 21-23 years old.
John Garth Jr. had been reared as a Jehovah's Witness by African-American Jehovah's Witness Parents, John Garth Sr. and Marta Garth. According to his sister, Joanna Garth Potts, "We were brought up pretty strict." Joanna Garth Potts told a reporter about their JW upbringing which centered on "worship, Bible study, and family rules". Despite such, John Garth Jr. had entered the world of drugs during his high school years at Allderdice High School, and he eventually even dropped out of school without graduating.
Unfortunately, John Garth Jr. was murdered in October 2004. Garth left behind a pregnant girlfriend, Jessica Monroe, who was also the mother of his two year-old daughter, Messina Garth. Chalina Garth was born around January 2005.
NORTH CAROLINA v. QUINCY JOVAN ALLEN (2004) and SOUTH CAROLINA v. QUINCY JOVAN ALLEN (2005). Reared in South Carolina by a "strict" single African-American Jehovah's Witness Mother, in 2002, then 22 year-old Quincy J. Allen went on a multi-state arson, armed robbery, and murder crime spree, which ended in robbery and murder convictions in both North Carolina and South Carolina. While North Carolina agreed to a plea bargain which sentenced Quincy Allen to life without the possibility of parole, South Carolina sentenced Quincy Allen to the death penalty, which was upheld by the Supreme Court of South Carolina in 2009.
SOUTH CAROLINA v. QUINCY J. ALLEN. Prior to 2002, Quincy Allen had served prison time for a previous auto theft conviction.
In July 2002, for no other reason than to test-fire a newly acquired shotgun, Allen shot and wounded a homeless man sleeping on a park bench in Columbia, SC. Several days later, Allen shotgunned and killed a 45 year-old female, and then burned her body. In August 2002, Allen shot into an automobile belonging to the boyfriend of a co-worker killing a 22-year-old passenger. Allen thereafter set fire to the boyfriend's home. Allen later set fire to two other automobiles, and threatened others with his shotgun. Still in August 2002, Quincy Allen fled to New York City where he attempted to find employment as a "mafia hit man". Laughed out of NYC, Allen returned to South Carolina, but not before first shooting and killing an interstate convenience store clerk and a store customer during an armed robbery in North Carolina. After telephoning multiple SC media outlets and threatening to kill even more people, Quincy Allen fled westward, but was eventually arrested after he shot at Texas police officers during a traffic stop.
In their attempt to avoid the death penalty, Quincy Jovan Allen's South Carolina defense attorneys claimed that Allen had been diagnosed in the latter 1990s with schizophrenia and other mental disorders during the six times that Allen was in and out of psychiatric facilities. They alleged that Allen was physically abused, starved, and teased as a child. They alleged that Allen's mother, who was "strict in her Jehovah's Witnesses faith", beat Allen and frequently locked him out of the house as punishment. Allen allegedly was often left to fend for himself -- living with friends, in a treehouse, or wherever else on the streets that he could find shelter. One defense attorney told reporters:
"This guy had a really bad upbringing. He became very bitter. He's deeply mentally ill. None of this is said to justify anything, but this guy, ... the wheel's came off the track."
Although the SC trial judge acknowledged Quincy Allen's "poor and destructive home life", the trial judge ruled that Allen's crimes were an attempt "to be noticed and respected", rather than the a result of a major mental illness, and even stated in his decision to issue the death sentence that he hoped it would act as a deterrent to "abusive parents".

NORTH CAROLINA v. DALE MCCLAIN and NORTH CAROLINA v. JAKE MCCLAIN. Both are members of a prominent African-American family of Jehovah's Witnesses in Buncombe County, North Carolina.

Dale Lamar McClain, age 29, of Asheville, North Carolina was convicted of misdemeanor larceny in May 2003. At his February 2004 funeral, which was conducted at the South Ashville Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, he was remembered for giving "gifts of his time" to others. He was always willing to help those in his family and his congregation when they had a need. The cause of death was glaringly absent from his obituary.

Brother, Lawrence Jake McClain, Jr., age 37, of Asheville, North Carolina was convicted of misdemeanor larceny in January 2004.


KANSAS v. RONALD RAY SCHNEIDER was a 2001 Kansas criminal court case. On Monday, April 16, 2001, at around 6:30 PM, a Jehovah's Witness, named Ronald Ray Schneider, age 50, drove his Pontiac automobile directly into oncoming traffic as he proceeded westbound in the eastbound lanes of I-470 in Topeka, Kansas. Eventually, Ronald R. Schneider struck head-on an eastbound automobile containing two 22 year-old females, neither of whom were wearing seatbelts. A semi-truck driver later told police that Schneider had drove straight at his semi, and that he had avoided hitting Schneider head-on only by swerving into the median.
Ronald Schneider and the female passenger in the other vehicle were each treated at a local ER and released. However, the operator of the other vehicle was admitted to a local hospital in "serious" condition. She improved to "fair" condition a few days later, but her outcome is unknown. No further details regarding wreck or criminal prosecution, but Schneider died about 6 months later at a Topeka hospice from causes apparently unrelated to any injuries from this wreck. Civil lawsuits were likely avoided, because Schneider's insurance carrier would probably have simply paid policy limits under these indefensible circumstances.
Ronald Ray Schneider was a member of the Colly Creek Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, and a former "WATCHTOWER BETHELITE". It is unclear whether he and Loretta Tindell Schneider were still married at the time. Interestingly, Ray Schneider had worked as a Computer Programmer at WatchTower Society world HQ from 1978 until 1986, when he left to get married in Nebraska. Such likely indicates that Schneider was one of the "fathers" of the WatchTower's "MultiLanguage Electronic PhotoTypeSetting System", commonly known as MEPS, given that the MEPS project began in 1979 and was finished in 1986.
BASIAGO v. BERNADINE DISTEFANO was a 2001 Pennsylvania civil court decision. In April 2001, Jennie Basiago was awarded a civil judgement in the amount of $632.00 by a local judge after filing a civil trespassing complaint in Cleona, Pennsylvania, against Bernadine DiStefano, a member of the Palmyra, Pennsylvania Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses.
Jennie Basiago worked night shifts and had repeatedly been awakened during the daytime by JWs knocking at her door. Basiago claimed that local JWs had called at her home approximately 4 times per year during the previous 12 years. Basiago had posted eight (8) "No Trespassing" signs, along with 3 "Beware of Dog" signs along her lengthy 300 foot long driveway. In October 2000, she had even telephoned both local JW Kingdom Halls and told them that she was going to file a lawsuit if they ever again came on her private property. Yet, Bernadine DiStefano, accompanied by another unidentified JW female, still called at the home of Jennie Basiago and woke her up in February 2001. Fed up with the ignorant pests, Jennie Basiago filed this civil lawsuit.
Bernadine DiStefano raised as her defense that the local township had recently changed the address numbers of area homeowners, which caused the JWs "Do-Not-Call" list to not work. This says much about the mentality of Jehovah's Witnesses. They have absolutely ZERO respect for the eight (8) "No Trespassing" signs which Jennie Basiago had posted along her driveway. Unless the local JW Congregation said not to call at Basiago's door, the JWs could care less about the property owners legal rights. Jennie Basiago should have demanded that the local District Attorney also criminally prosecute Bernadine DiStefano for "criminal trespassing". (In fact, the judge had included the $395.00 criminal fine when computing his civil award to Basiago.) This is just another example of why civil libertarians have no business praising the WatchTower Society and Jehovah's Witnesses for allegedly expanding civil rights and liberties. In fact, JWs could care less about anyone else's rights and liberties other than their own.
PHILIPPINES v. RAFAEL DIOPITA GUZMAN was the 1995-2000 Philipines RAPE prosecution and conviction court case of a Jehovah's Witness MINISTERIAL SERVANT, who was sentenced to LIFE IN PRISON. That conviction and sentence was reviewed by the Philippines Supreme Court and affirmed.

Shortly after sundown, on Friday evening, April 14, 1995, Jehovah's Witnesses around the world -- including those living in the Philippines -- gathered for one hour to celebrate the only "holiday" celebrated by the WatchTower Cult, their annual LORD'S EVENING MEAL. This WatchTower Cult "holiday" is typically always celebrated within a few days of EASTER, which Jehovah's Witnesses condemn as a "pagan".

Two nights later, at around 9:00 P.M., on EASTER Sunday night, April 16, 1995, while walking home from work, a 24 year-old woman named Dominga Pikit-pikit was physically attacked, robbed, and then raped. After the attack, the woman went straight home, where her neighbors called the police. The victim was taken to the police station, where she gave her statement. The victim was taken to the hospital, where intercourse was confirmed. A single shoe was recovered from the crime scene within 8 hours of the attack, and it was eventually found to fit the accused. Police quickly detained 4 suspects from homes near the crime scene, and around 6:00 A.M., the next morning, the victim readily picked from a police lineup the Jehovah's Witness MINISTERIAL SERVANT as her attacker, given that the rape had been committed outside in the light of a FULL MOON.

At the trial, the Jehovah's Witness MINISTERIAL SERVANT produced FIVE JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES as "alibi witnesses" -- his wife and son, as well as 3 adult male Jehovah's Witnesses. This "coven" of five JWs all testified that they had gathered at a private home near the crime scene on that EASTER Sunday evening to conduct a "Bible Study" -- conveniently from 8:30 P.M. until midnight. The FIVE JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES testified that the accused never left the home during those hours. Both the trial and appellate courts completely dismissed the false testimony of this "coven" of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Here is an excerpt from that Decision of the Philippines Supreme Court -- which we GUARANTEE you will never find quoted in one of the plethora of WATCHTOWER magazine articles boasting about the superior morals and ethics of Jehovah's Witnesses:

[THE ACCUSED] tenaciously maintains that it was impossible for him to have committed the crime charged since he is a person of good moral character, holding as he does the position of "Ministerial Servant" in the congregation of Jehovahs Witnesses, and that he is a godly man, a righteous person, a responsible family man and a good Christian who preaches the word of God.

We are not impressed. The fact that accused-appellant is endowed with such qualities hardly justifies the conclusion that he is innocent of the crime charged. Similarly, his having attained the position of "Ministerial Servant" in his faith is no guarantee against any sexual perversion and plunderous proclivity on his part. Indeed, religiosity is not always an emblem of good conduct, and it is not the unreligious alone who succumbs to the impulse to rob and rape. An accused is not entitled to an acquittal simply because of his previous good moral character and exemplary conduct. The affirmance or reversal of his conviction must be resolved on the basic issue of whether the prosecution had discharged its duty of proving his guilt beyond any peradventure of doubt. Since the evidence of the crime in the instant case is more than sufficient to convict, the evidence of good moral character of accused-appellant is unavailing.

Accused-appellant likewise bewails and assigns as reversible error the failure of the trial court to give credence to the testimonies of the defense witnesses. He argues that these are Jehovahs Witnesses, and as such, they are God-fearing people who would never lie as to his whereabouts at the time in question. This argument is as puerile as the first. ...


KENNETH HAWTHORNE v. GOLDFINCH and KENNETH HAWTHORNE v. ADELAIDE CONGREGATION OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES were related 2001-3 Australian civil court cases. Although I typically avoid posting JW cases from foreign countries, even those which were sufficiently notorious so as to garner international media attention, there is the occasional case which simply demands to be posted here. These cases from Australia are such. They involve a Jehovah's WitnessTRESPASSER, who ended up injured, and then had the nerve to sue the property owners, and amusingly, even the local Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, of which the JW Trespasser was a member.
In July 2001, Kenneth Hawthorne and his wife, Pamela Hawthorne, then of Tea Tree Gully, were out in "field service" sellingWATCHTOWERS door-to-door, when they came to the small farm of Ronald and Julie Goldfinch, near Paracombe. The Goldfinch's property was fenced, and on the closed gate at the entrance near the farmhouse was a posted sign which read:"PRIVATE - KEEP OUT".
Typically, the JW Couple ignored the property owners' sign, and entered private property that they had no legal right to enter. As the trespassing JW Couple proceeded toward the farmhouse, a four year-old ram ran at and repeatedly butted Kenneth Hawthorne -- fracturing one his legs.
Thereafter, Kenneth Hawthorne filed a civil lawsuit against the Goldfinches seeking damages for his injuries and loss of earnings due to his supposed inability to earn a living while recovering. The lawsuit was settled just prior to trial in January 2003 -- probably by the Goldfinch's insurance company.
More interesting was the fact that Kenneth Hawthorne even sued his own local Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses for its' alleged failure to provide proper instructions about door-knocking in rural areas. Outcome unknown.
Amusingly, the Australian media reported that the ram's name was "SH*T-FOR-BRAINS". I doubt that such was true. It was more likely that the Aussie reporters simply felt that someone in this story needed to be labeled as such, and only the ram could not sue them.
COLORADO v. JOEL STOVALL and COLORADO v. MICHAEL STOVALL were related 2001 Colorado murder court cases which are recounted on Crime TV programs. In November 2001, twin brothers, Joel Stovall and Michael Stovall, 24, pleaded guilty to the murder of a Deputy Sheriff, 18 counts of attempted murder against police officers, and one count of aggravated robbery, in exchange for sentences of "life plus 896 years".
On September 28, 2001, Joel Stovall was arrested in Penrose, Colorado, after shooting a neighbor's dog, and Michael Stovall was arrested for interfering with his brother's arrest. The Deputy Sheriff failed to search the brothers before placing them in the backseat of his patrol car. While on the way to county jail, Michael Stovall used a concealed handcuff key to free himself, and then used one of two concealed pistols to shoot out the rear right side window. Michael then stuck one of the pistols out the window and back toward the Deputy's front passenger side window. When the Deputy refused to stop, and went for his own pistol, Michael shot the Deputy multiple times. When that Deputy's body was found, it had 12 shots to the head, and 4 shots to the body, and two different pistols had been used. Later, in Florence, Colorado, the brothers carjacked at gunpoint a pickup truck. Three hours later, the brothers ambushed a moving city patrol car striking the driver, Officer Bethel, three times and leaving him paralyzed. Toby Bethel also lost his spleen, liver, and a kidney. During the subsequent chase, they wounded another Deputy in the arm, and even a fourth officer was slightly injured by flying glass as his windshield was shot out. The brothers peacefully surrendered to police the next day.
The brothers attitude during all this was beyond belief. Not only did they exchange gunfire with police on a number of occasions with some degree of fearlessness, but after shooting up Bethel's patrol car, which contained a second uninjured officer, they returned when they saw the EMTs arrive, and they proceeded to taunt and threaten them from a short distance. After their arrest, the brothers reportedly threatened to kill a guard if given the chance. Joel Stovall even gave a jail house television interview in which he smiled, joked, and mocked the audience for having to support him for the rest of his life.
Robert Stovall and Linda Stovall had reared Joel Stovall and Michael Stovall as Jehovah's Witnesses, and at the time of the rampage, they were living with and caring for an ailing grandmother who called them "good boys" who were "perfect in her book". Until these events, the brothers had had no trouble with the law since the time that the two then Sophomores were arrested at Florence High School after they climbed into the ceiling above the choir room and dropped burning pieces of paper down onto the choir causing minor fire damage and evacuation of the school. Also, while the brothers were still in high school, one shot the other near the collarbone with a bow and arrow. The boys reportedly did not use drugs, and were light social drinkers.
Some of the brothers' issues likely resulted from the separation of their parents (at some uncertain time), and then being reared by a father who apparently was an outdoorsman, who introduced them to everything that goes along with such. Most of the twins "issues" were likely from all the baggage that results from being reared as a Jehovah's Witness. Locals who had went to school with the twins described them as "loners", who kept to themselves, and who didn't hang out with other students, and thus had few friends. One local who had went to school with the twins since kindergarten stated that their fellow classmates had made fun of the boys and picked on them for years because of their religion. The boys were not permitted to participate in any holiday festivities, nor even sex-ed classes. After a while, "they just sort of withdrew". After Joel Stovall was suspended for the fire incident, neither boy returned to high school. However, the twins apparently finished high school either via homeschooling and/or GED, because they both attended community college for one semester before dropping out.
Evidently, as the boys got older, hunting and survivalism gradually became their energy outlet as they also likely consciously and subconsciously came to the understanding that their WatchTower religion was the cause rather than the solution to many of their problems. At some point, the brothers came to hate the police, despite the fact that their mother worked as a prison guard, and that Michael had enrolled in the community college's criminal justice program before dropping out, and that both twins had worked as security guards.


NEW JERSEY v. SAEED SCOTT was a 2002 New Jersey court case. In May 2002, 23 year-old Saeed Scott was arrested in a wooded area of Burlington Township after eluding and fighting with police officers who had been chasing the naked Scott. Saeed Scott was reported to the police by a group of children at a bus stop, who told police that Scott initially approached them talking about his Jehovah's Witness religion, but then stripped off all his clothes. Outcome unknown.


JW SUICIDE BY COP. In June 2002, a "home-schooled" 21 year-old inactive Jehovah's Witness, named Yukio Allen, who reportedly had no history of violent behavior, committed "suicide-by-cop" in Inverness, Florida, after a series of negatives in his life, which evidently caused his depression.

In what may have been a poorly thought out plea for help, Yukio Allen walked to a nearby convenience store to supposedly make copies of a suicide letter that he had composed. While there, Allen flashed a pistol at the clerk, and dared her to "call the cops." Allen returned home, where cops said he later wielded two guns, one in each hand, and confronted them, and told them that he had turned on the gas in the house, and was going to blow himself up. However, when Allen refused to surrender the two guns he was waving around, the cops took him out.

While being reared as a JW in Detroit, an older brother, named Patrick Allen, had been shot and killed by another youth with whom he was having unspecified issues in 1993.


CALIFORNIA v. ENRIQUE PANIQUA COLIN was a 2001-02 California murder court case. Sometime during 2000-2001, the 10-year marriage of a 32 year-old Watsonville, California Jehovah's Witness, named Enrique Paniqua Colin, fell apart, and thereafter, so did his life. Like a farm animal born and reared inside a barn that does not know how to behave outside the barn when eventually let out, Enrique P. Colin went "crazy" after the breakup of his marriage and his divorce from his wife, and after his "excommunication" from the JWs.

Enrique Colin was referred to by the media as having been a JW "lay minister". Whether this meant that Colin had been an "elder", "ministerial servant", or merely a lowly congregation publisher is not known. At his December 2002 sentencing, Colin accepted full responsibility for his crimes, and he apologized to his victims. His sister, Norma Colin, described her brother as a loving father to his two sons, and a loving brother to his JW family members (six siblings with numerous children of their own). She cautioned those who did not know Colin to not judge him by his past couple years, and spoke for the Colin family: "We know he is a man of God -- no matter what anybody else says."

In June 2001, Colin was convicted of violating a restraining order, and was placed on three years probation. At the time, Colin was already on probation after being convicted of spousal battery.

On Christmas Eve, 2001, Colin drove to pickup his male roommate from work at the Watsonville KFC. From there, Colin drove to Village Liquors, where his roommate wanted to re-stock after the previous night's alleged marathon session of drinking and methamphetamine smoking. While the roommate was in Village Liquors, Colin went into nearby Pacific Rim Buffet, which had already closed. There, Colin, pulled a pistol, and attempted to rob the owners. However, the owner verbally refused Colin's demand for money. Whether he recognized Colin as the JW son of Jose Colin and Maria Colin, who owned the Watsonville Mexican restaurant known as Mi Rancho is not known. Colin responded to the refusal by shooting Khoon Shao "Sean" Koay, 40, in the chest and head as his wife and 3 year-old daughter looked on. When Koay's 65 year-old father, Shang-eng Koay, came to his son's aid, Colin shot him three times. While the father survived with only losing the partial use of an arm, Sean Koay died.

On December 29, 2001, two sheriff's deputies went to a home in an adjacent county as part of a separate burglary investigation, and there discovered a stolen vehicle parked in the driveway. Enrique Colin ran out of that house and started firing his .38 pistol at the deputies, who returned fire striking Colin in the chest, shoulder, and hip. Colin was charged with attempted murder, vehicle theft, and possession of stolen property in that county.

Colin's roommate, who reportedly had not known that Colin was going to stickup the restaurant while he was buying booze, "gave up" Colin, and he was thereafter charged with the Xmas Eve crimes. In December 2002, Colin agreed to a plea deal in which he received life without the possibility of parole. He was also ordered to pay $137,241.00 in restitution. It is not known whether the separate charges from the December 29, 2001 shooting were dropped or later prosecuted.

Using what has become "standard operating procedure" for practically every newspaper that publishes a seasonal article about how its local residents are choosing to celebrate Christmas, or other holidays, the News-Press, of Fort Myers, Florida, on January 1, 2004, in a Christmas article, included comments from a local Jehovah's Witness Male, who had been interviewed on December 24, 2003, who related that he would not be celebrating Xmas due to his WatchTower beliefs. That JW Male, who just so happened to have so unusual a surname such that I had never heard/seen such previously, also just happened to mention as an aside (Freudian? - conscience?) that he had had plans to drive to Ohio over the Christmas holiday to visit his son, but that his plans had fallen through.
Because that JW's surname was so unusual, I googled such, and surprise of surprises: A male with the exact same name shows up on an Ohio government webpage, which indicates that a male with the exact same full name had been arrested for his 9th DUI in October 2001. That man's age was officially listed as 43 (in 2001), while the JW with the exact same unusual name, who was interviewed in 2003, told the reporter that he was 42, or at least that was the age that was published.
JW WINDOW PEEPER SHOT. In May 2001, a self-proclaimed Jehovah's Witness, named Rutilio Gracida Castillo, 23, of Oxnard, California, was shot and killed by one of two Oxnard police officers who had responded to a complaint that Rutilio Castillo was peeping into windows at an apartment building -- possibly his own. Castillo had a history of mental illness, which had led to previous encounters with police. In particular, Castillo was paranoid that someone was trying to kill him. On the night in question, Castillo was carrying a knife. The police chased Castillo to a nearby crowded strip mall parking lot, but when he failed to heed police commands to drop the knife, and supposedly lunged at or advanced toward the officers, he was shot three times and killed. The Ventura County district attorney's office concluded that the officers had acted reasonably, and that the shooting of Castillo was a justifiable homicide.
The following excerpts are taken from a 2002 California Appellate Court decision which reviewed and affirmed the exclusion of four African-Americans from the original murder trial jury. One of those dismissed jurors was a Jehovah's Witness Mother of six children, of Carson, California, and identified only as "P.B.", who was employed as a beautician, volunteered as a teacher's aide, and was married to a chiropractor:
"... Counsel argued that the last four peremptories the prosecutor had exercised were against African-American prospective jurors ...
"... P.B. was not 'terribly bright' and was disturbed by the nature of the case and the type of evidence that would be presented. ...
"P.B. was a married Carson resident, who worked as a hairdresser and volunteered part-time as a teacher's aide for the L.A. Unified School District. She had six children. A year previously, she and her husband were victims of a Long Beach carjacking. The carjackers were prosecuted. Her husband handled most of it. She and her husband appeared at the defendants' sentencing. She was nervous about attending the sentencing proceedings since the friends and family of the defendants were present. She is a Jehovah's Witness and sees apparent gang members when she is in different areas; that does not bother her. At age 18, one of her sons was involved in an out-of-state bank robbery. The son was released, had turned his life around and was now working for the city. Her husband is a chiropractor, and her other children are employed or married. When asked about the credibility of gang member witnesses, she replied that from her experience with her own child, sometimes it was 'just association or situations that they have been into.' She would not be prejudiced against gang witnesses. None of her children had been gang-affiliated. One daughter was incarcerated after she failed to pay tickets and, since the daughter had no money, she chose to stay in jail rather than pay a fine. P.B. knew someone who was a law enforcement officer. She would be uncomfortable about hearing that someone was killed, but would try to put aside her feelings so that she could objectively evaluate the evidence. When asked about whether she would be able to view bloody pictures, she said, 'It would be hard,' and she would not want to see such photographs.

*******************               *******************

ALASKA v. JASON WALTER PRITCHARD was a 2001 Alaska attempted murder criminal court case. In October 2001, a 34 year-old Jehovah's Witness, named Jason Walter Pritchard, pleaded guilty to two counts of attempted murder. Pritchard was ruled "guilty but mentally ill", and was sentenced to two concurrent 99-year prison terms, during which he will effectively never be eligible for parole.

Jason W. Pritchard became a Jehovah's Witness sometime in the early 1980s while he was still in high school. A fellow female student at Homer High School, who was a Jehovah's Witness, had used Pritchard's attraction to her as her opportunity to convert Pritchard. However, after Pritchard became a JW, their relationship was apparently terminated. This scenario possibly traumatized Pritchard and led to his mental illness given that Pritchard evidently never married, and given Pritchard's later problems with sexual issues.

Interestingly, in 2001, Pritchard's mother told a reporter that teenage Pritchard had been confused by WatchTower teachings, since Jason had interpreted some Bible verse to mean that children should "shun" their parents. [Those familiar with WatchTower teachings know the significance and impact of the mother's vague reference -- the Jehovah's Witnesses were teaching then teenage Pritchard to limit as much as possible his relationship with his own parents, since they were not JWs.]

After high school, Pritchard worked on fishing boats and at other various jobs, and apparently saved his money. Sometime in the early 1990s, Pritchard moved to Anchorage, where he purchased a four-plex to live in and rent out for extra income. Pritchard also operated a vending machine route, while he also was employed at a carpet company. All the while, Pritchard apparently was an active Jehovah's Witness.

It was around 1994 when Jason Pritchard's life started to fall apart. From the fall of 1994 until the fall of 1996, Pritchard received 5 citations for reckless driving, DWI, and driving with a suspended license. Pritchard also lost his job due to such.

In August 1997, Pritchard was arrested for "trespassing" while he apparently was "door knocking" at an Anchorage apartment complex where both the manager and police had warned him not to solicit tenants. Pritchard also had two encounters with police due to his drinking around this same time.

At some point around 1997-8, Pritchard's drinking also led him to frequent bars, strip clubs, and massage parlors. Pritchard also began to hear voices, and Pritchard's interpretations of the Bible went off the deep end. Apparently, having started to engage in illicit sex, which troubled his conscience, a voice supposedly told Pritchard that cutting off his penis would solve his problems, which Pritchard actually partially accomplished. It was around this very time that Pritchard was "disfellowshipped" due to sexual sins.

After being disfellowshipped, Pritchard was driven to start preaching to teenagers and even children about sexual sins. In mid 1998, Pritchard started approaching teenagers and children in and around schools, and he was reported to police, who in turn investigated and reported Pritchard to all local schools. Pritchard's "sex talk" was interpreted as sexual advances toward children and teenagers, but Pritchard was actually warning the children and teens about the "evils" of sex -- as his mentally ill mind so interpreted. In June 1998, Pritchard was cited for "stalking" a 14 year-old boy.

In December 1998, Pritchard walked into Anchorage Rescue Mission and started throwing $5000.00 in cash into the air, and then left. Apparently, around $4400.00 was turned over to police by the staff. The next evening, Pritchard walked into the middle of a Kingdom Hall service and started blaring that all the JWs present needed to kill themselves, or at least that's what they told police. Pritchard was "escorted" outside twice, and was returning a third time when police arrived and placed him under arrest. Pritchard spent the next several months in jail and mental health facilities under suicide watch. In March 1999, Pritchard was placed in Alaska Psychiatric Institute for one year, after which he was released and lived with his mother.

Sometime in latter 2000, on medication, Pritchard moved to Anchor Point to live with his former stepfather. There, he worked in a cannery, and attended every Kingdom Hall meeting. Pritchard also immersed himself in "bible study".

Then, on Monday morning, May 7, 2001, Pritchard, who apparently had stopped taking his medication, showed up at Mountain View Elementary School, in Anchorage, and began attacking with a knife students who were waiting for school to open. By the time police arrived, Pritchard had attempted to cut the throats of three boys, ages 8 and 9, and he was attempting to cut a fourth student inside the school, but was being prevented by a teacher with a desk.

At gunpoint, the police ordered Pritchard to drop the filet knife and surrender, but he not only refused, but even encouraged the officers to help him kill "his little brothers and sisters", and "send them to Jehovah". At one point, he exclaimed that he wanted"strength" so that he would not "take the mark of the Beast". Rather than shooting Pritchard, the police used three shots from a beanbag gun to disarm and subdue him. During such, Pritchard exclaimed, "Strengthen me, Father, to do your will." All four young boys suffered life-threatening slashes to their throats and/or faces, but all were fortunate to survive.


CALIFORNIA v. ARMANDO TIZOK FRIAS was a 2001-2 California murder case. On May 21, 2001, Armando Tizok Frias, 19, who was a Nuestra Familia gang member, was selling drugs at a Salinas, California saloon, when Raymond Sanchez and Joseph Cantu walked in and sat at the bar. Sanchez also was a drug dealer, who also was a NF "dropout" who had stopped associating with the gang. But, more importantly, Sanchez was sporadically selling drugs in NF territory without paying the NF "tax". After Sanchez's failure to heed repeatedly warnings, NF leaders had given the "green light" to its' street soldiers to kill Sanchez. Just within the past few days, the "hit" order allegedly had been confirmed by a NF "Street General" named Daniel Hernandez.
Armando Frias telephoned his local NF leaders, who met Frias in the parking lot. Frias was given a pistol. Frias walked back into the bar, and when the opportunity arose, he walked up behind Sanchez and shot him in the back of the head. Frias also shot Cantu out in the parking lot. Sanchez died. Cantu survived.
Armando T. Frias, his girlfriend, and their 7 month-old son fled to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, to hide out at the apartment of Frias' Jehovah's Witness Mother Armando Frias had been reared in the WatchTower religion in Salinas, California. Armando Frias had attended a local Kingdom Hall, and like other JW Kids, he had gone without birthdays and holidays. Frias missed such as a child, but says that he was respectful of his mother, and did not complain "too much". His mother had relocated to Oklahoma City sometime when Frias was a teenager. Frias and his girlfriend had lived with his JW Mother in Ohlahoma City for a while in 1999 and/or 2000, after Frias had been released, at age 18, from California Youth Authority, where he had been incarcerated for a robbery in which two people had been murdered. At some point during all this, Frias' father, Armando Rico Frias, who also had been a NF gangbanger, had reformed, possibly had also become a JW, and possibly had reconciled with his JW wife in Oklahoma.
In June/July 2001, Armando Frias was captured at his mother's apartment, extradited back to California, tried, convicted, and sentenced to 29 years to life for the May 2001 murder and attempted murder (sounds like a plea deal). But the story does not end there.
CALIFORNIA v. DANIEL HERNANDEZ ETC., ETC., ETC. The Sanchez "hit" order allegedly had been "green-lighted" by a NF "Street General", named Daniel "Lizard" Hernandez, who later denied that he did so. Interestingly, Daniel Hernandez, who obviously had an extensive criminal and prison history in order to have reached the level of a "Street General" in the Nuestra Familia, had been reared in a middle-class Long Beach, California family of Jehovah's Witnesses. Hernandez once told a reporter, "As a kid I didn't know anything but religion."
But, like many children reared as JWs, Hernandez rebelled against the heavy yoke of WatchTower Rules, and his JW parents sent him to live with an aunt in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Hernandez eventually returned to live in California. At age 19, Hernandez was convicted of armed robbery, and while awaiting sentencing, he knifed another prisoner during a jail house fight. After that, "Lizard" became indoctrinated into the Nuestra Familia by a cousin that he met in San Quentin. Thereafter, Hernandez moved up the ranks of Norteno (after spending a short while as a Sureno) as he participated in gang-life inside various California prisons and outside on the streets of California and Pittsburgh.
FLORIDA v. JARROD LYNN CEARLEY. In April 2001, Jarrod L. Cearley, then 25 years-old, of Vero Beach, Florida, was convicted on one count of burglary and one count of trafficking in stolen property back in January 1999. Jarrod Cearley was sentenced to six years in state prison.
FLORIDA v. JARROD LYNN CEARLEY. In June 2001, Jarrod L. Cearley was convicted on one count of weapons charges committed in November 2000, and was sentenced to 3 years in state prison.
Jarrod Cearley was a member of a large extended family of Jehovah's Witnesses, and had associated with multiple Kingdom Halls in Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, and North Carolina before dying of unknown causes in 2009 at the age of 34.
MARIA LEAL v. CITY OF SANTA ANA was a 1999 California civil court case, and an "almost" criminal court case, which involved a Jehovah's Witness named Maria Leal. In May 1999, Maria Leal, age 60, was doing "street witnessing" in the downtown business section of Santa Ana, California. Probably because Leal was bored from people ignoring her, Leal allegedly started feeding the pigeons. Santa Ana had an ordinance against feeding the "poop machines", and some business owner called the police.
Officer Leonard Salcedo, an eleven year veteran, responded to the complaint. Salcedo approached Leal and another unidentified female and told them that someone had been observed feeding pigeons in the area and that doing so violated at least two city codes, including one against littering. Salcedo reportedly had no intention of ticketing anyone. He simply wanted to stop the feeding and attracting of pigeons into the downtown area.
However, when he asked Maria Leal for her identification, she reportedly became indignant, and refused. Ratching up the situation, Leal now placed Officer Salcedo in a position of having to detain her. Acording to Salcedo, he placed his hand on Leal's shoulder, and she then bit one of his fingers. Given the sensitive situation, Salcedo called and waited for backup. Then, when attempting to place Leal into custody, Leal allegedly became "uncontrollable", and Leal allegedly "plopped" to the ground on her own. Leal was inevitably arrested, booked, fingerprinted and photographed.
However, the D.A. refused to prosecute the case, even though it involved an assault on a police officer, which prompted the local media to backhandedly poke fun of Officer Salcedo and his arrest of a "pigeon feeder". In reality, the chicken-xxxx D.A. was more likely afraid of prosecuting a public-preaching Jehovah's Witness.
Thereafter, Maria Leal filed a $25,000.00 lawsuit against Officer Salcedo and the City of Santa Ana in which Leal claimed that Salcedo bruised her breast and buttock when he "forced" her to the pavement. In December 1999, a jury heard Leal's case, and deliberated all of 15 minutes before deciding in favor of Salcedo and the City.
One can't help but wonder if the second female mentioned above was also a JW and a friend of Maria Leal, and why did she not testify at Leal's civil trial? Or, did she? Leal's attorney later told a reporter that he only took this case because he was already representing Leal in another civil case in which she was suing someone else. As for Officer Salcedo, he went on to have a respected career in law enforcement, and eventually started a polygraph business.
TEXAS v. BILLY GEORGE HUGHES was a 1976-99 Texas murder court decision. Forever labeled "A Cop Killer", Billy George Hughes, Jr., of Fairhope, Alabama, was executed by lethal injection in Texas, in January 2000, for the 1976 shooting of a Texas State Trooper, while Hughes was stopped alongside a Texas interstate by that trooper and his partner.
Billy George Hughes had been an easy person to villainize given that his murder of a law enforcement officer was the finale of a three-year long series of crimes. Hughes former wife, Beth Rounds Hughes, who was a Jehovah's Witness, had been one of Billy George Hughes' biggest critics, and Jehovah's Witnesses everywhere were quick to point out his multiple crimes, along with the fact that Hughes had been "disfellowshipped" for such.
Few webpages bother to discuss what type person was Billy George Hughes, Jr. before 1973 and after 1976. According to his father, Billy George Hughes, Sr., Junior had an idyllic childhood. School, education, and preparing for his future were primary in Hughes' life. In elementary school, Hughes played on various local football and baseball teams. In High School, Hughes competed on the cross-country and track teams, and also was a statistician and sports reporter for the high school football team. Hughes once served as the President of his school's Junior Achievement club. When Hughes was 10 years-old, he won a local essay contest, writing on the topic: "Why My Daddy's The Greatest". The Hughes family lived on a small horse farm to accommodate Billy George's love of horses, and Hughes once had had hopes to become a veterinarian. After Billy George Hughes was imprisoned, he earned two college degrees, and became a celebrated artist and cartoonist, and Hughes donated artwork to several charitable causes.
Billy George Hughes, Senior, claimed that the day that two Jehovah's Witnesses came knocking at his front door was the "sad turning point" in his family's life:
"One afternoon, two young men showed up and said to me, 'Would you like to be able to live forever and never have to die?' And so I said, 'What? Do you know something I don't know?' That was the beginning of the trouble that came into the Hughes family."
It is not clear exactly when that day occurred, but it probably was while the oldest child, Junior, was in High School (1967-71). Senior did not fall for the JWs' sales pitch. However, Senior evidently was interested just long enough, and allowed the JWs access to his family sufficient for his wife, Vida Hughes, and all his children, including Junior, to all convert to the WatchTower religion.
Because the WatchTower Society was against higher education, because Armageddon was going to occur in October 1975, Junior gave up a chance for a scholarship in the physical therapy field, and abandoned plans to study the farrier trade or become a veterinarian.
In the summer of 1972, at a WatchTower District Convention, Hughes met fellow JW, Beth Rounds, of Montgomery, Alabama. They were married in June 1973. Typical of numerous such JW marriages during the pre-1975 days, the marriage was a disaster. It is not clear what all occurred after 1972, but up until 1972, Billy George Hughes, Jr., had lived an unblemished life. He was well-liked and respected by the Fairhope community.
ALABAMA v. BILLY G. HUGHES. The couple quickly developed financial problems as Hughes bounced from one bad business venture to another bad business venture. Almost sounding like a re-run of the Christian Longo saga, Billy George Hughes began passing bad and/or forged checks around the area. It was that affront to the reputation of the local JWs that got Hughes excommunicated. That only caused the couple's problems to escalate. The couple separated and filed for divorce in early 1974. Beth Rounds Hughes claimed that Hughes had began to beat on her during the last days of their relationship. At some point, the Hughes couple filed bankruptcy.
UNITED STATES v. BILLY HUGHES. At some point in all of the aforementioned, Billy George Hughes also made multiple telephoned bomb threats to area businesses -- possibly to those businesses who were prosecuting him for the passing of the bad and/or forged checks. Hughes plea bargained "guilty" to a federal extortion charge, and received three years probation -- apparently because the telephoned bomb threats were seen as being "out-of-character" for Hughes.
However, the federal prosecutor and judge did not do Hughes any favors, because Hughes, who was likely "mentally diseased" at that point, only continued his criminal activities. In January 1976, Hughes left one of his shirts -- bloodied -- on a nearby beach, so that people would think he was dead, and like Christian Longo, Hughes left town, and went on a multi-state crime spree.
Hughes three-month long, multi-state and multi-city crime, spree ended in Texas, on the night of April 4, 1976, when two Texas state troopers pulled Hughes' stolen 1975 Ford LTD over near Sealy, Texas, after a motel clerk had telephoned the vehicle's description to police after the operator had attempted to rent a room with a stolen credit card. As the troopers approached Hughes' vehicle, Hughes stuck a 9mm pistol out the driverside window and shot one trooper. Hughes sped away, but was arrested two days later during a massive statewide manhunt.
Hughes first conviction was overturned on appeal, but he was convicted again during the 1988 re-trial. During the penalty phase of the trial, Beth Rounds traveled to Texas to testify against her former husband. She told jurors that Hughes physically assaulted her numerous times, lied, stole, and made her life miserable during the year and a half they were married back in 1973-4. Rounds testified that she still feared Hughes, and that she thought Hughes to still be a violent person and a continuing threat to society. Rounds stated: "He was very convincing. He could turn those baby blues on. I know what type man he is inside."
To no avail, defense attorneys presented about a dozen character witnesses who testified Hughes was not the same man in 1988 who went on the cross-country crime spree in 1976. A Catholic Priest, a Lutheran Minister, a Texas Agricultural Extension Service horse specialist, a SPCA employee, a childhood friend and two school principals from Fairhope, Alabama, and even a Corrections Consultant once tapped to head the Texas Department of Corrections, all testified that Billy George Hughes was an asset to society who should not be executed.


An "email contributor" reports an incident which is so "unique" and "unusual" that no JW readers will believe such even after I am able to locate the published news report -- thus, why I choose to go ahead and post a summary of the "lead" now. The "contributor" has a 100% track record thus far, but has been unable to locate and forward the article. I too have not been able to locate such -- yet. "Contributor" states their recollection of reading a news article, sometime in the early 2000s, which reported an incidence of gang violence in the Los Angeles area which involved two separate groups of youths -- and here is where the story will be denied by JWs -- who were associated with two separate Kingdom Halls of Jehovah's Witnesses.

-- Thanks to a second emailer who vaguely recalls the news report, but their recollection was that it was a fight between two groups of JW youths from two different KHs, but not necessarily "gang related". This helper recalls "California", but not necessarily LA, and indicates time period may have been in late 1990s.


Signature found on a 1994 Resolution presented to President Bill Clinton advocating the decriminalization of drug use.

Farris Lee Huff, Ministerial Service, Jehovah's Witnesses, Compton, CA

Do you suppose that "Brother Huff" had a reason for such views? Farris L. Huff, of Pasadena, California, DOB: 1940, was arrested for failure to disperse (rioting) in 1965, and unspecified narcotics charges in 1967.

************************                       ************************


Short BIBLE TOPIC Readings Selected For Those With Jehovah's Witnesses Backgrounds

Wifely Subjection: Mental Health Issues in Jehovah's Witness Women

Jehovah's Witnesses and the Problem of Mental Illness

The Theocratic War Doctrine: Why Jehovah's Witnesses Lie In Court

Blood Transfusions: A History and Evaluation of the Religious, Biblical, and Medical Objections (Jehovah's Witnesses perspective)

Blood, Medicine, and the Jehovah's Witnesses: The Hidden History of the Watchtower's Position on the Blood Issue




<<<------PREVIOUS PAGE----------HOME PAGE----------NEXT PAGE ------>>>